Are you a board member of a public sector organization, looking to enhance your contribution to the board, to address governance issues and to improve the governance practices in the organization? This course will provide you with the practical guidance you need to become a governance champion on your board. This course describes the evolution of public sector governance and the unique challenges that this sector faces. It highlights key public sector governance principles, and utilizes governance success stories to illustrate how they are applied in public sector organizations. It also explains how key performance indicators can be utilized in the public sector effectively and successfully. The instructor provides specific best practice ideas at the board, management and staff/operational levels.
- Define governance and its components.
- Explain why good governance is critical for the success of every organization.
- Explain the Governance as Leadership model.
- Describe the differences between the corporate sector and the public sector
- Understand the unique challenges faced by the public sector.
- Describe the evolution of public sector governance.
- Identify global trends in the public sector.
- Identify key public sector governance principles.
- Analyze insights gained from examining public sector governance success stories.
- Identify best practices at the board, management and staff/operational levels.
- Definition and components of governance
- Key differences between public sector and corporate sector governance
- Evolution of public sector governance
- 8 public sector dilemmas
- Global trends, including public-private partnerships, key performance indicators, etc.
- International public sector governance principles
- Case studies
- Governance as leadership model, including fiduciary, generative and strategic components
- Board responsibilities, evaluation, size, composition, recruitment and renewal
- Management responsibilities, evaluation, work plans, communication
- Capacity building
- Employee engagement